Now that the days are shorter and the evenings are colder, it’s a great time to spend in the kitchen where it’s warm and cosy. There is nothing nicer than the smell of baking something like cakes and cookies at this time of the year.
Here is a recipe for Eggless Vegetarian Cookies or Biscuits which is also easy to follow. The cookies turn out great and it’s made with ingredients most of us will have in the cupboard.
INGREDIENTS for 20 Eggless Vegetarian Cookies or Biscuits:
- 2 cups of Plain flour
- 1/4 cup of coarse semolina
- 1/4 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom seeds
- 1 1/4 cups of ground sugar (I did mine in the coffee grinder)
- 3/4 cup of melted butter (you can use margarine as well. For this recipe, I used half butter and half margarine)
- 2 tbsps plain yogurt
- a small handful of almonds, cashews or pistachios for decorating the cookies
1. Sieve the flour and baking powder
2. Add the cardamom powder to the flour
3. Blend the sugar, melted butter and yogurt in a mixing bowl using a fork, till smooth.
4. Add the sieved flour and semolina to the sugar and butter mixture. Knead well for 5 minutes. The dough should be soft and just right to enable you to form a ball. ( I have marked it as a smile , with a spoon to give you an idea of how soft the dough is)
5. Transfer the dough into a covered bowl and chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Transfer the dough to a worktop and shape it like a tube.
7. Cut it into manageable chunks.
8. Take a chunk at a time and shape into small balls and slightly flatten the balls.
9. Sprinkle some diced almonds, pistaccio or cashews by pressing it gently into the biscuits.
10. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
11. Place the biscuits on a greased tray leaving enough space between each biscuits to allow them to spread as they cook.
12. Bake the biscuits in the centre of the oven for 18-20 minutes depending upon your oven. Fan assisted oven will take less time.
13. Once baked, the Cookies or Biscuits will feel soft on touch.
14. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. The Biscuits will harden as they cool.
15. Enjoy them with a nice cup of masala chai and if you have any left, they can be stored in an airtight cookie jar.
You may wish to check out the following recipes from my blog:
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.