Butter beans (often called Lima beans) are full of protein and taste really great. They are available as dried beans which need to be soaked in cold water before cooking. The best way to boil them is in a pressure cooker as it is quicker. I have always been very fond of butter beans and love them best cooked as a curry with a slightly sweet and sour taste.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 cups of boiled butter beans.. If using dry Butter beans, you need to soak them overnight before boiling them until soft.
- ½ a can of crushed tomatoes ( you can used fresh tomatoes too)
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1 teaspoon dry cumin, 2 small pieces of cinammon, 3 small cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ½ cup of plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons jaggery or brown sugar (optional)
- 1 small bunch of coriander and some curry leaves.
- 2 fresh green chillies
7. Now add the yogurt and stir the curry for a couple of minutes until it’s all blended together.