I got my first taste of green soya beans in Japan where they serve them boiled and cold in their pods as a starter. Soya beans are full of proteins and vitamins.
I usually buy frozen soya beans from the supermarket and cook them either with potatoes or add them to other vegetables to make a mixed vegetable curry. Today we made this simple soya and potato curry called soya bateta nu shak by Gujaratis.
Ingredients to serve 4 people:
- 2 medium potatoes -washed and diced.
- 2 cups of frozen soya bean
- 1 tbls oil (Most cooking oils are fine but try and use one which is low in saturated fats and trans fats)
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilly powder (or as required to your taste)
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of ground cummin (jeera) powder.
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- One cup of passata or any tomato products like tinned tomatoes.
- 2 tsp lemon
- 1 tsp of brown sugar or jaggery
- A small bunch of fresh coriander
3. Add a cup of water to this mixture and put the lid on. Cook this for 5 minutes on a medium heat, stir and cook for 5 more minutes. Once the potatoes soften, add the passata or tinned tomatoes, cumin powder, grated/minced garlic and lemon juice and let it cook for 5 minutes.
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.