Make this quick and easy colourful rice for any meal. It’s got some spices but isn’t too spicy so can be served with any salad and yogurt. You can adapt this recipe to whatever vegetables you have available to cook with rice. I have some of my favourite young guests coming today to join us for the Queens Diamond Jubilee street party this weekend and they love this rice.
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 cup of mixed vegetables (I used green soya beans (edamame beans), peas, sweetcorn, sweet peppers, carrots)
- 3-4 Echalion shallots (or any small onions)
- 4-5 baby tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp of turmeric
- 1 tbls oil
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds (Optional)
1, Cut the carrots and peppers into small cubes and add all the vegetables (apart from the shallots and baby tomatoes) to the rice and allow to soak for 20 minutes.
2. Remove the water and add plenty of hot water to the rice and vegetables and allow to cook on high until bubbling. (You cook this similar to pasta with lots of water).
3. Once the rice is cooked, drain the water by using a sieve or colander.
4. Heat the oil and add the shallots to the oil. Add the cumin seeds now. Toss the onions until they are coated with oil and cook for a minute or two – until the cumin seeds brown.
5. Add the rice to the onions and add the salt and turmeric. If you like your rice to be hot – you can add green chilies or chile powder to the rice).
6. Gently mix the rice with a fork. Transfer the mixture to an oven proof bowl and garnish with the Baby tomatoes and cover with foil.
7. Cook this in an oven at 170 degree C ( about 350 F) for 25 minutes.
8. Serve the colourful rice with yogurt and a nice salad.
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.