This is what I would call success in a plate And if your plates had feelings they would be writing poetry about this dish
I used shortcrust pastry for making Vegetarian Wellington just before Christmas. That’s when I realised how easy it is to use ready made shortcrust pastry. This type of pastry is great for making vegetable pasties recipe puff pastry as it does not puff up during baking because it usually contains no leavening agent. I had a few potatoes and carrots that needed using up and I though I would make samosas but by the time we came home from shopping we were hungry and decided o make this quick and easy dish rather than hitting the biscuit tin.
Ingredients for making 20 small Vegetable pasties :
- 4 small carrots
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 small red onions
- 1 packet 500 gms shortcrust pastry
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 green chilli cut as finely as possible
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced using a garlic press
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Bunch of fresh coriander
1. Chop the carrots and potatoes into small cubes, wash them and drain the water. Add the onions and peas to the potatoes and peas. Add all the spices to the mixture and transfer them to a microwave dish. Cook the mixture covered on high 1000 watts – checking and stirring every 4 minutes until the carrots and potatoes have cooked. Once the vegetables have cooked, add the lemon juice and allow the mixture to cool. We decided we would be healthy and not add any oil or butter to cook the filling. The cooking should take less than 12 minutes.
2. Switch the oven to 170 degrees (325 degrees F). Once the filling is cool, add some fresh coriander and mix. Take a small piece of shortcrust pastry and roll it in a thin circle. Add the vegetable mixture to half the side and fold over the pastry and crimp the two edges to form a semi circle. Finish making all the pasties and arrange them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
3. Cook the Vegetable pasties at 170 degrees (325 degrees F Gas Mark 3) for 15 minutes. Serve Vegetable pasties hot with any dip.
4. When entertaining, Vegetable pasties make a great starter and could be made the day before to save time on the day.
Please share some of your quick and easy recipes using shortcrust pastry.