As a child, I never liked dates (khajoor). I remember my dad eating them dipped in ghee as it was supposed to be good for health. As I grow older, I like the taste of dates, especially Medjool dates, when they are lovely and fresh. We got sent a large box of medjool dates by my sister in law and I decided to make them last longer by making dates rolls by adding nuts to them. This is a great snack to have when you are fasting.
500 gms of dates
200 gms of mixed nuts (almonds, cashews and jumbo peanuts)
100 gms of Omega 4 mixture (sunflower seeds pumpkin seeds, golden linseeds and sesame seeds)
1-2 tbls coconut oil (sent to me by Suma wholefoods)
1. Remove the stones from the dates and chop them into small pieces. Put these in a food processor and blend them into smaller chunks.
2. Transfer the nuts into the food processor and grind them coarsely. Transfer the mixture into a microwave safe bowl and roast them for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
3. Add the Omega 4 seed mixture to the nuts and stir.
4. Add the prepared dates to the nuts too. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil, mix and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes, stirring and checking at every 30 seconds.
5. Allow the mixture to cool until you are able to handle it by hand.
6. Grease your hands with coconut oil and divide the mixture into 3-4 rolls. Wrap them individually in aluminium foil and keep these in the fridge for at least an hour.
7. Once cool, remove the foil and cut the rolls into bite size chunks.
8. Store these in as air tight container and enjoy a couple of slices every day as a sweet snack. These should be fine for a week in the winter. Refrigerate them in the summer.
Suma Wholefoods had sent me a sample of their Organic Coconut Oil which I am using in this recipe.
Which dates are your favourite and how do you like to eat your dates?
You may also wish to check the following snack recipes:
- Muesli and Granola bars
- Nuts and Muesli Cereal Balls
- Nutty Energy ladoos/ balls with Dates
- Mixed Nuts Barfi with Dates
- Goji Berry Cereal Bars
- Nutty flapjacks with mixed nuts, mixed seeds and citrus flavoured honey
- Nuts, dates and Omega 4 Seed mix rolls
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.