Cottage pie is one of those simple but healthy dishes you can prepare ahead of time. You can make it with different fillings too.
Ingredients for 4 servings of Vegetarian Cottage Pie:
For the topping
- 5 -6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced largely
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 or 3 cups of grated cheese
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Filling
- 240 grams of boiled white Kidney beans (I used a can of white kidney beans)
- 4 bowls of mixed frozen vegetables – baby corn, peppers, carrots, sweetcorn, cauliflower, broccoli, soya beans
- 400 mls of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cloves of finely grated garlic
- 1 tsp of blended green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mixture of ground cumin and coriander powder (dhana jeeru)
1. Cover the diced potatoes with just enough water and salt and put them to boil until they are soft.
2. Drain the liquid from the canned kidney beans and wash them in cold water.
3. In a second saucepan, heat a tablespoon of oil and add in the garlic. Stir and add in the kidney beans and mixed vegetables. Add the salt, pepper, green chilies, turmeric and the ground coriander and cumin powder. Stir and add all the coconut milk and allow the mixture to cook until the coconut milk is absorbed by the vegetables.
5. Transfer the cooked beans and vegetables to a baking dish.
What fillings do you use with your cottage pie?. Here is a list of cottage pie recipes with different fillings, on my blog:
- Vegetarian Four Bean Cottage Pie
- Vegetarian Cottage Pie
- Vegetarian cottage pie with dauphinoise potato
- Curried Vegetable pie
- Vegetable Hot Pot Pie
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.