A couple of weeks ago I bought some fresh turmeric from the local farmer’s market. I bought some to make some simple but healthy pickle.
- Fresh turmeric enough to fill a small bottle. I used about 10-12 pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- Enough lemon juice to top the fresh turmeric (You can squeeze fresh lemons or used any ready made brand.
1. Soak the turmeric in cold water for 10-15 minutes. After soaking them, I would recommend that you wear some gloves to prevent the turmeric from staining your hands and cover your work top with some kitchen paper to stop them from getting stained yellow.
2. Scrape the outer layer of the turmeric using the back of a spoon and give it a good rinse.
3. Cut the turmeric in thin slices and transfer them to a mixing bowl. Add salt and turmeric powder to the turmeric. Transfer these to a sterilised bottle. Add fresh lemon juice to it until it covers all the turmeric slices.
4. The pickle need to marinade for 2-3 days after which can be eaten as a condiment with your meal.
Do you have fresh turmeric recipes which you can share with me?