I cooked the pasta in the Instant Pot. The Instant Pot (IP) is a pressure cooker but can also be used as a slow cooker. rice cooker, sauté/browning, yoghurt maker and steamer. I like cooking my pasta in the IP when I am busy and need something to eat in a hurry. I cooked the pasta for 10 minutes and enjoyed the soft pasta as it was tasty and well blended with all the spices and tomatoes. However, if I was making this for guests, I would cook it for 8 minutes and leave it el dante .
If you do not have the Instant Pot – you can follow this method.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 2 heaped cups of any mixed vegetables (we used 1 pepper,1 carrots,& 1 apple all chopped small)
- 1 jalapeno pepper – sliced finely
- 6- sliced cherry tomatoes
- 2 hot green Kenyan chilies – sliced finely
- 1 tbls oil
- 2 heaped cups of frusili pasta ( you can use any pasta)
- 1 carton 500gms passata (we used Tesco’s own brand)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic – crushed using a garlic press
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp coriander and cumin powder (dhana jeeru)
- Fresh coriander for garnishing (optional)
- Grated cheddar cheese (optional) (vegans can use vegan cheese)
1. Heat the Instant Pot (IP) on saute mode and add the oil. Once he oil heats, add the garlic tomatoes, jalepenos and chilies. Stir and add all the chopped vegetables. I added one apple to balance out the taste of the tomatoes and pasatta.
2. Stir and add the passata . Using the passata container, add one and half containers of water to the mixture.
3. Add the pasta, salt, oregano and dhana jeeru. Stir and close the lid of the IP. Press the Off setting on the OT and then press the Manual setting. Using the + or- buttons set it for 10 minutes. (8 if you want to keep the pasta el dante)
4. Once the IP has finished cooking, wait for the pressure to release slowly (unless your starving). Once the pressure is released, you can open the lid of the IP. Stir gently and you should get a tasty cooked fusili pasta. The apples and cherry tomatoes add a lovely flavour to the pasta sauce.
5. Serve the pasta hot with or with out the grated cheese.
Who loves Pasta?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!