The split val beans make a nice curry which is rich in protein. Val ni dall has a slightly stronger lentil taste than mung dall. Another quick dish made in the Instant Pot (IP). The Instant Pot (IP) is a pressure cooker but can also be used as a slow cooker. rice cooker, sauté/browning, yoghurt maker and steamer.
For those of you who don’t have the Instant Pot, the recipe is here.
Ingredients and method for making it in the IP for 4 servings:
- 2 cups Vaal/Val dall
- 2 tbls cooking oil ( I use Olive Oil)
- 1 red dried chilli
- 1 tsp mixture of mustard seeds and cumin
- 1 tsp ajma (carom seeds)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp of ginger
- 2-3 fresh green chilies chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup pasatta or tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1 tbls Jaggery
- 5-6 fresh curry leaves (optional)
- Coriander to garnish
1. Wash the vaal dall in warm water and allow to soak for a few minutes whilst the IP is warming up.
2. Heat the IP in saute mode and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the mustard and cumin seeds, ajma (carom seeds) and dried chilies.
3. Once the mustard seeds stop popping remove the water from the Vaal dahl and add it to the oil. Add the spices – salt, turmeric, chili powder and stir. Now add the ginger, garlic and green chilies.
4. Add the passata and 4 cups of water and turn off the saute mode.
5. Put the lid on and cook the val dahl on manual mode for 8 minutes NPR (normal pressure release)
6. The IP allows the food to be kept warm after the cooking time is over. Once the pressure is released, your dahl is ready to serve.
7. Garnish with coriander and serve with rice.