With the long weekend and half term break, everyone will be enjoying the lovely weather and watching television in between. Whenever I am watching a good movie, I like to have popcorn. I still make BUTTERY PAPRIKA POPCORN the way we used to make it years ago in Kenya -using popping corn. No popcorn machines or microwave pop corn for me.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 75 grams of popping corn
- 15 grams of butter – at room temperature
- salt and pepper to taste ( butter will also have salt or I tend to leave out the salt)
- Half a teaspoon of paprika (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a fairly large saucepan. I used one with a see through lid so I could see the corn popping.
2. Add the popcorn, stir so that the corn is covered in oil. Put the lid on the saucepan.
3. Keep the heat at high and wait for the corn to pop. It usually takes 4 or 5 minutes. Wait for all the corn to pop. Don’t open the lid.
4. Once the popping slows down, switch off the heat. Wait for a minute to ensure no more corn will pop!
5. If the butter is not room temperature, slightly warm the butter – 10 seconds in the microwave should do the trick.
6. Add the butter, pepper and paprika to the corn.
7. Shake the popcorn and it’s ready to eat,