Okra or ladies fingers curry can be made in several different ways. Lots of people get put off by cooking okra as it is quite a sticky vegetable when you cut it. Here is my recipe for stuffed okra. Okra curry is usually made very dry as any addition of water or even tomatoes could make it very sticky. I usually served with chapatis and rice and kadhi. Here is my recipe for stuffed okra. This recipe is very similar to my previous recipe but I call it my “cheat recipe” and it’s really a great one if you are in a rush.
As I mentioned before, okra are quite sticky when cut so they have to be prepared in a particular way. Always, soak and wash the okra, then dry each okra using a kitchen paper or a clean dish cloth.
Ingredients for for 2 servings:
- 15-20 fresh green okra or ladies fingers.
For the stuffing:
- 2 tablespoons Chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- Or you can use a mixture of cumin and coriander powder (dhana jiru)
- Salt to taste
- Chilly powder to taste
- 4 gloves of crushed garlic
- teaspoon of crushed ginger (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower oil
For the seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon of dried mustard seeds
- 2-3 tbls sunflower oil
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and add in the dry mustard seeds. Once they stop popping, add the sliced okras to the oil. Put the lid on and cook the okras on a very low heat for one minute. Do not add any water to this curry or it will get very sticky. When I see some recipes for okra which ask for water to be added – I get really shocked! yes shocked as I know that it will make the curry look sticky and put people off eating the dish.