Rice is quick to make and very filling if made with a variety of vegetables. This dish works really well with left over rice. It is easy to assemble and keep ready for when you are working all day and have to prepare healthy meals. Try this one pot meal which is a great favourite of mine.
Ingredients for 4-6 servings:
- 3 cups cooked basmati saffron rice (but any cooked rice is fine).
- 6-8 medium boiled new potatoes
- 2 onions sliced lengthwise
- 2 -3 cups mixed vegetables all chopped in cubes ( peas, carrots, green beans, sweetcorn, aubergines)
- 1 cup passata
- 2 tbls cooking oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dhana jeeru(a mixture of ground coriander and cumin)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup single cream (vegans to use plant based cream like Elmlea)
- handful of mixed nuts (almonds & cashews) to garnish
- fresh coriander to garnish
- 1-2 sliced tomatoes for garnishing
- fresh lemon juice of one lemon
- ground black pepper for garnishing
1. Slice the new potatoes in thick circles and sprinkle some salt, chili powder and lemon on them and put aside.
2. Heat the oil and stir fry the onions until they are soft. Add all the vegetables and mix well. Add salt, chilli powder, dhana jeeru and half a cup of water. Cook this until all the vegetables soften. Add the passata and garam masala and cook until the mixture looks rich and thick.
3. Add the cream, mix and cook for 5 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool.
4. To assemble the bake – layer a baking tray with some cooked rice and top the rice with slices of boiled potatoes.
5. Pour some of the cooked curry mixture on top of the rice and potatoes
6. Repeat by layering with rice and potatoes.
7. Garnish the top with tomatoes, nuts and coriander. Sprinkle some fresh lemon and black pepper on the top.
8. Cover the baking tray with aluminium foil and cook in a preheated oven at 190 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove cover and cook for a further 5 minutes.
9. Serve Layered vegetables and rice bake hot with nice cool raita
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.