This is a great dish to assemble and keep ready for when you are working all day and have to prepare healthy meals. Try this one pot meal which is very similar to making casseroles except that this has rice as well.
Ingredients for 4-6 servings:
- 3 cups cooked basmati saffron rice
- 6-8 medium boiled new potatoes
- 2 onions sliced lengthwise
- 2 -3 cups mixed vegetables all chopped in cubes ( peas, carrots, green beans, sweetcorn, aubergines)
- 1 cup passata
- 2 tbls cooking oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp dhana jeeru(a mixture of ground coriander and cumin)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup single cream
- handful of mixed nuts (almonds & cashews) to garnish
- fresh coriander to garnish
- 1-2 sliced tomatoes for garnishing
- fresh lemon juice of one lemon
- ground black pepper for garnishing
2. Heat the oil and stir fry the onions until they are soft. Add all the vegetables and mix well. Add salt, chilli powder, dhana jeeru and half a cup of water. Cook this until all the vegetables soften. Add the passata and garam masala and cook until the mixture looks rich and thick.
4. To assemble the bake – layer a baking tray with some cooked rice and top the rice with slices of boiled potatoes.
7. Garnish the top with tomatoes, nuts and coriander. Sprinkle some fresh lemon and black pepper on the top.
9. Serve Layered vegetables and rice bake hot with nice cool raita