Today is 11.11.11.which is considered a very auspicious day in some parts of the World. It certainly has been a wonderful day for me when I achieved everything I had planned to do.
I am sharing with you my recipe for Adadiya – an Indian sweet which is also considered to be a healthy dish to have during the winter months. It is believed that eating one adadiya for breakfast during the winter months helps to keep you warm throughout the day. This is the first time I made them and they turned out so great that all my friends and family who got them as gifts have been raving about them. Time 40 -60 minutes. The dish needs to be cooked gently with lots of love and attention.
Ingredients for 30 small adadiyas.
- 2 and one third cups(500 grams) of coarse black gram flour now being referred to as adad flour – hence the sweet is called adadiya!!
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups ghee
- ½ cup of edible gum arabica (Gund)
- 1½ cup of sugar which should be ground using a grinder (you can add an extra ½ cup if you like it very sweet)
- ½ cup of finely sliced almonds
- ½ cup of cashew nuts
- 1 Tsp of a mixture ground Elaichi and nutmeg (some recipes also mention ginger powder but I did not include it in my recipe).
1. Take ¼ cup of ghee and ½ cup of milk and mix it with the adad flour and leave aside for 15 -20 minutes. (Some Gujaratis refer to this process as “Drabo devanu”)
2. Heat ½ cup of ghee and when it’s hot, add in a few bits of the edible gum to the ghee. As the ghee is hot, it will cook and pop the gum. Once cooked, lightly crush them using a pestle and mortar and leave aside.
3. Mix the adad flour and sieve it using a large hole sieve.
5. Add in the adad flour and keep stirring. The following pictures will show you how the colour of the flour goes from light to dark golden – almost brown,
9. Add in the ground sugar and mix.
11. You can either make them small and bite-size – traditionally shaped like a mountain or spread them out on a greased dish, decorate them with cashews and cut them in diamonds. Both styles look nice and taste wonderful.