Over the Christmas holidays – I had fun trying out new quick and easy dishes as I wanted to spend as much time I could with my family and not in he kitchen!! Bhajias of any kind are quick to make and are great to have with tea in the middle of a monopoly game. No one likes to stop playing this game so finger foods like bhajia keeps everyone happy until they finish the game – which sometimes goes into the middle of the night.
I made Crispy Maru bhajias and then decided to try the same recipe using sweet potatoes.
Ingredients for 10-12 bhajias
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ½cup of chick pea flour (Chana/besan flour)
- 1 teaspoon of coarsely ground pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch of soda bi carbonate
- Oil for deep frying
1. Peel and wash the sweet potato and slice it into round slices.
2. Sprinkle the chick pea flour thinly on sweet potatoes and add the salt, pepper and soda bicarbonate to the mixture.
3. Spray a couple of teaspoons of water on the mixture so that it coats the sweet potatoes.
4. Heat the oil. Test that the oil is has reached the right temperature for frying ny putting a couple of drops of the batter into the oil. If the fried batter rises quickly to the top, your oil is ready. Now lower the heat and fry the bhajias at medium heat to allow them to cook well and crispy. You may need to adjust the heat occasionally to ensure the bhajias cook well and crispy.
5. Serve them hot with your favourite dip.
We made a mixture of bhajias over the holidays. My favourite are the crispy Maru bhajias.
Of course we had to make hubby’s favourite Onion bhajias.
He also likes Chilly bhajias but I didn’t have any fresh chillies on the day!!
Which board games do you like to play? And which bhajias are your favourite? Do share your recipes with me.