It seems ages since I shared a recipe with you all. I have been really busy with my Cookery lessons which started of as a hobby and are going from strength to strength as the students are having such fun. Watch out for my new blog and checkout my facebook page – Cook at home with Mina – revealing all the mischief we get up to in Class. One of the students, who is a very keen cook is also a brilliant gardner and gave me some of the bullet chillies he has grown. I made a hot and spice sauce using those chillies and used the sauce as a dip, chutney and also as a pizza toppping! Here’s a picture of these fiery chillies.
- 1 cup of red bullet chillies
- 2 cups of chopped tomatoes (I used a mixture of tomatoes)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch stick of fresh ginger
- salt to taste
- 1 ibls lemon juice
- 1 tbsp jaggery or brown sugar
1. Chop the tomatoes into two and pierce the the bullet chillies. Peel the garlic and ginger. All this to a saucepan with one cup of water. Add the salt, lemon and jaggery and boil the mixture for 5 -7 minutes until the tomatoes look very soft. Allow this to cool.
2. Remove the skin of the tomatoes and blend the mixture in an electric blender.
3. Once blended, sieve the mixture to get rid of any tomato or chilli seeds remaining. Allow to cool and transfer to a sterilised bottle to use when needed.
You can use any red chillies, thai sweet chillies or even red peppers for this recipe. The taste may not be as hot but it would still make a tasty dip.