Chocolate Barfi is a favourite sweet of mine. The barfi is quick and easy to make and layering it with chocolate gives it a great taste.
- 397 gm tin of condensed milk
- 400 gms milk powder
- 200 gms double cream
- 3 tbls ghee (or melted salt free butter)
- large pinch of saffron
- ½ tsp ground cardamom (Elaichi)
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg (Jaifur)
For the topping:
2 bars of 150 gms cooking chocolate
1. Take a large microwave dish and mix the milk powder, condensed milk, double cream, ghee, saffron, nutmeg and ground cardamom. Stir this mixture and cook on high (900 watts) for 1 minute. Keep cooking and stirring the mixture at 1½ minute intervals for 6-7 minutes depending on your microwave. The mixture should be smooth and creamy.
2. Grease a tray and transfer this mixture in the tray. Choose a tray that will give you a barfi thickness of just over half an inch. Using the back of a greased spoon or small flat bowl, smoothen the mixture and allow to cool – preferably over night.
3. Once cool, melt the cooking chocolate by following the instructions on the packet. I melted mine in the microwave until it was soft and runny enough to layer the barfi. Allow this to cool. Once cool, cut into squares or diamonds using a sharp knife ready to be eaten. Any left over barfi can be stored in a biscuit tin for a fortnight.
So what kind of barfis do you like?
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.