Chocolate Barfi is a favourite sweet of mine. The barfi is quick and easy to make and layering it with chocolate gives it a great taste.
- 397 gm tin of condensed milk
- 400 gms milk powder
- 200 gms double cream
- 3 tbls ghee (or melted salt free butter)
- large pinch of saffron
- ½ tsp ground cardamom (Elaichi)
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg (Jaifur)
For the topping:
2 bars of 150 gms cooking chocolate
1. Take a large microwave dish and mix the milk powder, condensed milk, double cream, ghee, saffron, nutmeg and ground cardamom. The saffron, nutmeg and cardamom are optional. I love adding these as it gives a great flavour to the barfis. Stir this mixture and cook on high (900 watts) for 1 minute. Keep cooking and stirring the mixture at 1½ minute intervals for 6-7 minutes depending on your microwave. The mixture should be smooth and creamy.
2. Grease a tray and transfer this mixture in the tray. Choose a tray that will give you a barfi thickness of just over half an inch. Using the back of a greased spoon or small flat bowl, smoothen the mixture and allow to cool – preferably over night.
3. Once cool, melt the cooking chocolate by following the instructions on the packet. I melted mine in the microwave until it was soft and runny enough to layer the barfi.
4. Allow this to cool. Once cool, cut into squares or diamonds using a sharp knife ready to be eaten. Any left over barfi can be stored in a biscuit tin for a fortnight.
So what kind of barfis do you like?