It’s been a long time since I ate bread in any form as we have all gone off bread recently. Last week, I bought some multi seeded bread and made some cheese toasties using lemon cucumbers, peppers and cherry tomatoes. To make them taste a bit like the Mumbai sandwiches I layered them with two different spicy chutneys which gave them a real hot taste reminding me of the sandwiches I have eaten at the famous Taj Hotel in Mumbai. In Mumbai, the green chutney they had used was so hot that even the cold coke I drank afterwards could not calm my gums! For those of who don’t like hot and spicy food you can leave out the chutneys or just use salsa or any ready made sweet chutney.
- 2 slices of bread ( I used brown multi seeded bread)
- 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese. or Vegan cheeses
- 2 tbls green coriander chutney (Recipe here)
- 2 tbls carrot chutney (Recipe here)
- 4-5 slices of cucumber (i used lemon cucumber)
- 5-6 sliced cherry tomatoes
- 5-6 slices of peppers
- dash of Olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Layer the 2 slices of bread with the green coriander chutney and the carrot chutney
2. Top this with grated cheddar cheese.
3. Grill the cheese ( in USA it’s referred to as broil) until it melts.
4. Top the sandwich with the cucumber, peppers and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle these with olive oil, plus salt and pepper and the chilli flakes. Grill these again until the vegetables are slightly warmed and start to brown.
5. Join the two slices of bread with the filling in the middle and grill the bread on both sides.
6. Hey presto!! you have a delicious grilled toasties. ( You can leave the crust or remove it depending on your taste) Serve it hot with salsa and crisps.
So what is your favourite toastie?
You may wish to try some of my sandwiches and toasties listed below:
- Vegan Tempeh Sandwiches and Toasties
- Spicy sandwiches
- Toasted sandwiches
- Cheese and Pepper salad sandwiches
- Toasted Sandwiches Indian style
- Hot and Spicy Tortilla Sandwiches
- Spicy sandwiches with potatoes and cheese
- Bombay sandwich
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.