A couple of days ago when my son decided to bring a number of his friends home after school and asked if I could provide some snacks for them. Just some crisps and pop corn will do he said. Of course I couldn’t serve them something unhealthy after they had been to school for the whole day and could be starving. I decided to make a variety of Spicy Sandwiches using stuff I had in the fridge. They were quick to make and tasted great with a cold drink..
Ingredients for the variety of Spicy Sandwiches:
- 7-8 medium potatoes
- 1 onion
- 3-4 cups of cheddar cheese (vegans can use vegan cheese)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chilly powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Butter or margarine to spread on the bread
- 1 loaf of bread
- ½ cup of coriander and chilly green chutney
1. Wash and finely dice the potatoes.
2. Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds
3. Once the cumin seeds go brown, add the potatoes.
4. Add the salt, chilly powder and turmeric and stir.
5. Cover and cook on a low heat for 10-12 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
6. Sprinkle some lemon juice to the potatoes and your sandwich filling is ready.
7. For adding variations to the sandwiches – grate the onions and cheese.
8. Butter one side of the bread and turn over the slice.
9. On the second side of the bread, spread the potato filling and top it with cheese
10. Cover it with a second slice of cheese and spread butter on the outer slice.
11. These Spicy Sandwiches can be cooked in a pre heated oven on a pizza tray ( 220 degrees for 5 minutes) or you can cook it in a sandwich maker.
12. Make a variety of Spicy Sandwiches – some with cheese and onion, some with green chutney spread on the bread before topping it with the potato filling. In fact, you can use any kind of vegetables for filling these sandwiches.
13. These Spicy Sandwiches disappeared so fast that I did not get a chance to photograph every version I made.
14. These Spicy Sandwiches can be served with my mango dip, tomato ketchup, tamarind sauce or sour cream.
Other sandwich recipes to try from my blog are:
- Vegans may wish to try these sandwiches with tempeh
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.