Toasted Sandwiches Indian style is one of my favourite snacks at the weekends. The Toasted Sandwiches Indian style recipe is simple, quick, tasty and spicy just as I like it. I used a sandwich toaster for making these but you can use the filling in paninis and even in simple sandwiches.
Ingredients for making enough sandwiches for 2 to 3 people:
- 2 medium potatoes diced as small as you can
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables – I used the ones with more peas, carrots and sweet corn.
- 1 loaf of medium sliced bread
- Butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 or 3 chopped green chillies ( or not if you do not like hot stuff)
- 1 finely chopped onion (optional)
- I tablespoon oil
- I teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- some chopped coriander
1. Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds.
2. Once they finish popping – add the diced potatoes and stir them well.
3. Add the spices – salt, chilly powder, turmeric, green chillies, sugar and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
4. Now add the frozen vegetables and allow them to cook. If you cook this mixture gently with the lid on – you shouldn’t need to add any water to the mixture.
5. Once the vegetables soften – it didn’t take too long for mine about 10 minutes- add the sugar, lemon juice and coriander and allow the mixture to cool by transferring it to a wide dish.
6. Now mix in the finely chopped onions. The mixture can now be used for filling pita bread, paninis or sandwiches.
7. Switch on the sandwich maker.
8. Butter 2 slices of bread using either butter or margarine and turn them over. My sandwich mixer requires the bread to be buttered on one side and the mixture to be topped up on the other side.
9. Add the sandwich filling between the two slices of bread and cook them in the sandwich toaster.
10. Continue making all the sandwiches in the sandwich maker.
11. Serve Toasted Sandwiches Indian style with any Chutneys or dips or ketchup.