Today I am sharing with you my easy peasy potato curry. I tend to make Easy peasy potato curry when I come in late from work or have unexpected guests who I want to impress by offering them dinner. Not all the ingredients are necessary for this curry. You can make it as hot or as mild as you like it.
Ingredients for serving 4 people:
- 4 medium potatoes
- half a can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 2 or 3 cloves of finely crushed garlic (optional)
- 1 tbls cooking oil
- 1 tsp cmin seeds or mustard seeds (both are acceptable for this recipe).
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of a garam masala
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 2 tsps brown sugar or jaggery
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 2 or 3 green chilies or coriander for garnishing
1. Peel and dice the potatoes and soak them in water.
2. Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds and allow them to brown and if using mustard seeds – allow them to pop.
3. Drain the water and add the potatoes to the oil. Do this carefully as wet potatoes on oil can make a mess. You could use a slotted spoon to add the diced potatoes to the oil and keep a lid handy to cover the saucepan. By doing it like this, the potatoes should have enough moisture to cook without getting the dry look.
4. Add the spices – salt, turmeric, chilly powder and garlic and mix well.
5. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until the potatoes soften.
6. Now add the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree and allow to cook for a further 5 minutes. Add half a cup of water to the tomato mixture to create some gravy.
7. The potatoes should now be cooked. Add the lemon juice, sugar and the garam masala.
8. Transfer the curry to a serving dish, garnish it with coriander or green chilies or curry leaves or desiccated coconut or even some sliced onions. Any of these work wonders when you are in a rush and trying to impress!!
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate tea