I use crushed ginger in a lot of my cooking especially when cooking lentils and pulses. I also pickle fresh ginger and have a couple of slices with my food. It gives the food extra flavouring and I know that it’s going to help me with my digestion.
- Fresh Ginger enough to fill a small bottle. I used two large pieces similar to the picture below:
- Salt: 2-3 teaspoons
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric
- Enough lemon juice to top the ginger – Use freshly squeezed or any ready made brand.
1. Soak the ginger in cold water for 10-15 minutes.
2. Give the ginger a good wash. It’s believed that the ginger peel also has lots of goodness so by soaking the ginger and using a sharp knife, it will be easier to scrape the outer layer rather than peeling it.
3. Wash the ginger again and slice it. I used a mandolin slicer which is normally used for slicing potatoes for thick crisps.
4. Transfer the sliced ginger to a bowl.
5. Add the salt and turmeric to the ginger and mix well.
6. Top this with the lemon juice.
7. The pickle can be eaten within a couple of days.