Delicately spiced curry with crunchy peanuts
Potato curry is one of the dishes everyone in my family loves. Adding roasted peanuts to the curry is a great way to add a bit of crunch to the curry. This quick and easy dish was shown on some television show my hubby likes to watch and he talked me through the recipe. We loved this curry and the leftovers made a great filling for my tortilla wrap for lunch the next day. Unfortunately he couldn’t remember which show the recipe was shown on so I am not able to give credit to the original chef.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 3 large potatoes ( We used King Edward Red potatoes)
- 1 cup of tinned tomatoes
- ½ cup of raw peanuts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp mixture of mustard seeds and cumin seeds
- 2-3 cloves of garlic crushed using a garlic press
- 2-3 tbls oil
- 1 tbls Lemon juice
- 1 tbls sugar or sugar substitute (can also use jaggery)
1. Peel, wash and chop the potatoes into chunky cubes.
2. Heat the oil and add the mixture of mustard and cumin seeds. Once they stop popping, add the diced potatoes and stir so that the oil and mustard/cumin seeds coat the potatoes.
3. Add the salt, turmeric, chilli powder, garlic with a cup of warm water and cook until the potatoes are soft. Blend the tomatoes and add them to the curry.
4. Roast the raw peanuts for a minute in the microwave. Once cool remove the skins by rubbing the peanuts. Grind the peanuts but leave some coarse.
5. Save a couple of tablespoons of the peanut mixture for garnishing and add the rest to the curry and stir gently to avoid the potatoes going mushy. .
6. Once the curry is nice and dry , garnish it with peanuts and serve it hot with fresh chappatis .
Wouldn’t you agree that adding roasted crunchy peanuts adds extra flavour to the mix of spices used in this recipe?