I picked up a couple of packets of shortcrust pastry a couple of weeks ago and then realised that I had not made anything with them. I decided to use the pastry as a pizza base and top it with whatever vegetables we had in the fridge. It worked a treat.
- 1 pack 500gms Jus-Rol Shortcrust Pastry Block
- 1 cup passata or tinned tomatoes
- 1 cup mixed grated cheese. I used a mixture of grated mozzarella and cheddar
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 small courgette (Zucchini)
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes (save some to spread on the top)
- 2-3 hot green chilies (optional)
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbls olive oil
- 1 tbl cooking oil
- Heat the oven to 170 °C or 325 °F or Gas mark 3.
- Prepare and chop the toppings
2. Roll out shortcrust as thin as you can into a large pizza or pie tray. You can also make 3-4 small ones if that’s what you prefer.
3. Once rolled – Cook the pastry for 6-7 minutes 4. Stir fry the chopped vegetables in some olive oil for 5-6 minutes and add the salt, pepper and oregano. Be adventurous and use the toppings you like with the spices you like.5. Peel and blend the garlic cloves and add them to the passata or tinned tomatoes. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Heat this mixture for 5-6 minutes.
6. Spread the tomato topping on top of the cooked pastry base.
7. Now add the cooked vegetables and cheese. 8. Garnish with the cherry tomatoes, sprinkle some oregano and cook in the preheated oven (170 °C or 325 °F or Gas mark 3) for 15 minutes.
8. Serve hot on it’s own or with salad or roast