I am really enjoying cooking in my Instant Pot. The Instant Pot (IP) is a pressure cooker but can also be used as a slow cooker. rice cooker, sauté/browning, yoghurt maker and steamer. Mung beans curry is one curry I know everyone in the family enjoys and it goes with so many accompaniments.
Some nice things about the IP :
- It can be set up anywhere – but just remember to keep your ingredients near you once you decide to cook a dish in the IP as in most cases everything is added before closing the lid of the IP.
- It doesn’t steam up the kitchen like a normal pressure cooker does.
- It’s also not as noisy and frightening as the pressure cooker.
- It switches off at the cooking time and keeps your dish warm until you are ready to eat.
If you don’t have the Instant pot – checkout this Mung bean recipe
Ingredients for 2-3 servings:
- ½ cup whole mung beans
- 1 cup of passata
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbls oil
- 1 tsp mixture of mustard and cumin seeds
- 2 small pieces of cinnamon sticks
- 2 or 3 cloves
- 2 green chillies sliced through the middle ( if you like hot food!)
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 3-4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tbls sugar or jaggery
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- a few curry leaves and a small bunch of coriander
- Wash the mung beans and leave them in the water as you prepare all your ingredients.
2. Switch on the IP to saute mode and add one tbls of oil. The nice thing about the IP is that you can use less oil .
3. At the same time, in a mixing bowl -add the passata, chopped tomatoes, the spices, chilies, garlic, ginger, lemon, curry leaves etc all in the bowl. (Hold on to the cumin and mustard seeds)
4. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard and cumin seeds and allow them to brown.
5. Then add the tomato mixture with all the spices.
6. Mix and add the mung beans after discarding the water they were soaking in. Add two cups of water, stir and close the lid. Switch off saute mode and cook the Mung beans on manual mode for 10 minutes. Once cooked allow the pressure to release naturally.
7. Your mung beans are ready to garnish with coriander and eat. If you like your mung beans runny, you can add an extra cup of water when cooking. We had them with my avocado parathas and raita.
How do you like to serve your mung beans?
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.