After looking at my friend Daksha’s beetroot thepla recipe, I got the idea of making these avocado parathas/theplas. I had a ripe one in my fridge and didn’t want to waste it. The thepla/parathas turned out nice and spicy and I cooked a few crispy ones for my husband and some soft ones for me.
Ingredients for 8-10 theplas/parathas:
- 1 avocado – cut and mashed
- 2 cups of chapati flour (save 3-4 tbls to use for dusting)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup oil
- Cut and remove the avocado stone. According to this article in the Independent – Lots of people cut their hands whilst cutting the avocado and removing the stone. So cut round the stone and remove the stone by scooping round it with a spoon. The stone can be slippery so be careful if you are thinking of stabbing it with a knife. Remove any of the dark spots in the pulp and mash it using a fork or potato mash.
2. Once mashed – add the minced garlic, salt, turmeric and chili powder.
3. Now add the flour and one teaspoon of oil. Mix the ingredients to form a dough. I didn’t need to add any water. If your dough is too dry, add a couple of tablespoons of water to the dough.
4. Once formed, keep the dough in the fridge for at least an hour. Then remove and divide the dough in 10-11 balls depending on big you want to make your parathas.
5. Using some dusting powder roll out the paratha one at a time. Like my heart shaped paratha?
6.Heat a griddle or frying pan and cook the paratha on each side.
7. Using the back of a tablespoon, spread some oil on both sides of the paratha and allow them to cook. Best way is to let the paratha rise and brown in places. If you like crispy parathas – use a kitchen paper to press on the parathas on both sides. This will make them crispy. It also soaks up any excess oil.
8. Finish cooking all the parathas and stack them to keep warm.
What kind of parathas do you like?
You may wish to try some of my paratha recipes:
- Plain parathas
- Spicy parathas with tomato and onion
- Stuffed parathas with quinoa
- Aloo parathas
- Vegan parathas with Apple
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.