Different Indian breads like chappatis, parathas and bhakhris are always included in our meals. My favourite are the stuffed parathas. However, as I have mentioned in my earlier Posts, we have quite a few family commitments at the moment so most of our cooking has been quick and simple. Last week, I make these very quick and easy plain parathas.
Ingredients for 15 medium size parathas
- 3 cups of chappati flour to make the dough (if possible fine white chappati flour)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- bunch of coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2-3 tablespoons oil for the dough
- 3 tablespoon of unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ cup flour for dusting the parathas when rolling them.
- 2 cups oil for frying (I use sunflower oil)
- Sieve the flour and add the salt and turmeric. Add in the the butter, garlic, coroander and mix. Using warm water mix the dough. The dough should be nice and pliable. Keep this covered for 20 minutes.
4. Par cook the paratha if possible on a non stick pan. it will start to puff up and brown a bit. To cook my parathas, I used this non stick Prestige Omni Tawa pan, which I was sent as a sample to try out. Making the parathas in this non stick pan was much easier as the parathas cooked evenly.
6. Serve these hot with any curry.
How do you serve your parathas?