Over the Christmas break, I decided to make some snacks as I knew that we would all get bored with shop bought stuff like crisps and tortillas. Also my sons were visiting so I had to make sure everything I cooked would be to their liking. One of the snacks they love is chora fari.
What are Chorafaris?
They are crispy savoury snacks which are easy to make using lots of different flours. You may wish to check out this multigrain chora fari recipe of mine where I use up all the odd flours in the cupboard.
Ingredients to last a family of 4 for 2 weeks:
- 4 cups plain Flour
- 1 cup gram flour (chick pea flour or besan)
- 1 teaspoon chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Half a teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of green chillies really crushed like paste.
- 2 tablespoons oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1 litre oil for deep frying (I used sunflower oil)
1. Sieve the plain flour and gram flour in a large bowl.
2. Add the turmeric, salt, chili powder, green chilly paste and sesame seeds.
3. Add the 2 tablespoons of oil and make a soft dough using warm water.
4. Cover the dough for a minimum of 20 minutes.
6. Roll each dough into a thin chapatti. Don’t worry if your chapatti isn’t too round. I used a large worktop to roll out my chapattis. That way, I was able to make large chapattis.
7. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the chapattis into thin strips. You can cut the shapes into diamonds or long strips. As I like my Chora Fari crispy, I pricked the chapattis a bit before frying them.
8. Heat the oil in frying pan and when it is hot fry the Chora Fari until golden brown. The best way is to cook them slowly on medium heat.
9. The Chora Fari taste great with salsa or sour cream or even with a cup of tea.
10. You can store these Chora Fari in an air tight container for up to a fortnight.
What flours do you use for your chorafaris?
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.