Cauliflower and broccoli are vegetables I usually just boil and serve with western style dishes such as cannelloni or vegetable pies etc. or have them raw in a salad. This time , I decided to make a curry using the two vegetables and decided to add whole cashews nuts and cashew nut powder to it to make it a bit richer.
Ingredients for 2-3 servings
- 4 cups of cauliflower and broccoli florets
- 2 tbls cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ cup whole cashews which should be soaked for 30 minutes or more in cold water.
- ½ cup ground cashew powder ( I ground them in a coffee grinder)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup passata
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2-3 red or green chillies – sliced into 2
- 1 tbls brown sugar
- 1 tbls fresh lemon juice
- coriander for garnishing
1. Chop and prepare the cauliflower and broccoli into small florets. Wash them and cook them in plenty of water for 5 minutes to slightly soften them. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat the oil and quickly fry the garlic cloves ( without browning them) and remove them.
2. Add the cumin seeds and allow them to brown. Once brown add the passata and allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add the ground cashew mixture and the spices – salt, turmeric. chili powder, sliced green chilies and the brown sugar. The garlic should be soft now so crush it and add it to the mixtire too.
4. Once the mixture starts to simmer, add the boiled cauliflower and cabbage and stir.
5. Add the soaked whole cashews and allow them to cook for 2 minutes. Transfer the curry to a serving dish and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Cauliflower is also great for making other dishes such as:
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.