In the last post written on World Vegan Day by my son Rajesh, he mentioned that most of authentic vegetarian recipes in this blog can easily be made vegan and that’s what we have been doing lately.
We made this vegan ondhwa using slightly different ingredients a couple of weeks ago. The recipe for the vegetarian ondhwa is here
Ondhwa often called handvoh is a Spicy Lentil Cake made with a mixture of lentil and rice flour. Most Indian shops sell this mixture as “Ondhwa mix”. This dish is very popular among Gujaratis who lived in East Africa. It’s usually served as a snack with tea and chutney. In my opinion, it is a meal on its own as it has lentils and rice plus you can add a choice of seasonal vegetables marinated in yoghurt. This is one of the dishes we made using Soya yogurt so that the vegans in my family could enjoy it too.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 cups of ready mixed Ondhwa flour
- 1 cup coarse corn flour
- ½ cup strong wheat flour
- 1 cup soya yoghurt
- 2 tbls fresh lemon juice
- 2 small potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Carrot
- 1 or 2 fresh green chilies chopped finely
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 5-6 tables cooking oil ( need it for the tempering and lining the plate)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 or 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tsp soda Eno Fruit salt
- handful of nuts – cashews and peanuts
- Mix the Ondhwa flour, the corn and wheat flours with soya yoghurt and lemon juice. Add some warm water to form a mixture which is firm. Cover it and keep it in a warm place for 3-4 hours.
2. Grate the potatoes, onions and carrots and add them to the Ondhwa mixture. Add in the ginger, garlic and green chilies. Add the salt and turmeric. Mix it all together.
3. Mix the Eno Fruit salt with a half cup of warm water and add to the mixture. The ondhwa mixture will start to rise.
4. Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan. Add the mustard seeds and a tablespoon of sesame seeds to the oil. Once the mustard seeds stop popping and sesame seeds go dark, pour the hot oil over the ondhwa mixture and stir well.
Do try this vegan version of Ondhwa and let me have your comments.