What do you do when you have a lot of ripe tomatoes?
What dates can you use in this chutney?
You can use any dates you have in the cupboard. Just remember to remove the stones from the dates. Some people like to soak the dates but I didn’t as the tomatoes and dates were both soft.
- 4 -5 ripe tomatoes
- ½ red pepper
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 5-6 fresh dates
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2-3 green really finely blended chilies (use less or none if you don’t like hot food)
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch of turmeric
- ½ tsp of cumin/coriander mixture (often labelled – dhana jiru)
- A handful of chopped fresh coriander
1. Make a small cross at the bottom of your tomatoes and boil them in just enough water to cover it for a few minutes.
2. Once boiled, remove from the hot water and dip the tomatoes in cold water. This helps to remove the tomato skin quicker.
3. Chop the tomato and red pepper into really small pieces.
4. Add the rest of your ingredients to the tomatoes and allow this to cook until the tomatoes have really softened.
5. Blend this mixture with an electric blender.
6. Taste and add salt or lemon if needed.
7. Allow to cool and store in the fridge. The chutney should be fine for a week.
8. The chutney is great to have with cheese biscuits or to add to your curries to give it a bit of a heat.
Here are some more chutney recipes for you to try out Watch out they may be very hot in taste:
- Coriander and Chili Chutney/Dip
- Garlic Dip and Garlic Chutney
- Pineapple, mango and passion fruit Chutney
- Peanut Onion and Tomato Chutney
- Mango Chutney in the Instant Pot
- Fiery Tomato chutney with hot Green Chillies
- Coriander, chili and apple Chutney
- Tomato and Dates Chutney
- Blood Peach chutney
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information