Whenever I manage to get ripe tomatoes, I like to use some to make soup and some for some kind of tomato chutney. This week, I had a lot of dates too so added them to the chutney to give it some sweetness.
- 4 -5 ripe tomatoes
- ½ red pepper
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 5-6 fresh dates
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2-3 green really finely blended chilies (use less or none if you don’t like hot food)
- ½ tsp salt
- Pinch of turmeric
- ½ tsp of cumin/coriander mixture (often labelled – dhana jiru)
- A handful of chopped fresh coriander
1. Make a small cross at the bottom of your tomatoes and boil them in just enough water to cover it for a few minutes.
2. Once boiled, remove from the hot water and dip the tomatoes in cold water. This helps to remove the tomato skin quicker.
3. Chop the tomato and red pepper into really small pieces.
4. Add the rest of your ingredients to the tomatoes and allow this to cook until the tomatoes have really softened.
5. Blend this mixture with an electric blender.
6. Taste and add salt or lemon if needed.
7. Allow to cool and store in the fridge. This should be fine for a week.
8. The chutney is great to have with cheese biscuits or to add to your curries to give it a bit of a heat.