Green chutney is one of the most popular freshley made chutneys in India. It is usually made with fresh coriander and green chilies. Ginger, garlic and something sour like mango or lemon is also added to the mixture and blended to form a dip often referred to as the green chutney (lili chutney). Some chefs add peanuts or even left over gathias to give a unique taste to the chutney.This green chutney is one of the ingredients always added to a lot of Indian street foods such as any chaats like sev puri, alu chaat etc. My recipe for a similar chutney using mangoes is here. This one has been made using apples.
- 2 small sour apples (Bramleys or Granny Smiths would work fine)
- 8-10 hot Kenyan chillies
- 7-8 cloves garlic
- 1 inch stick ginger
- 2 cups fresh coriander
- 2 tbls lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbls olive oil
- Wash and roughly chop the coriander, chilies and apples. Peel the ginger and garlic.
2. Transfer the coriander, chilies apples, ginger and garlic to the blender. Add the salt and lemon juice and half a cup of water. Blend all this until smooth
3. Once smooth, add the Olive oil and bottle the chutney to use when required. The chutney should be fine for 7-10 days if kept in the fridge.
Here are some more chutney recipes for you to try out Watch out they may be very hot in taste:
- Coriander and Chili Chutney/Dip
- Garlic Dip and Garlic Chutney
- Pineapple, mango and passion fruit Chutney
- Peanut Onion and Tomato Chutney
- Mango Chutney in the Instant Pot
- Fiery Tomato chutney with hot Green Chillies
- Coriander, chili and apple Chutney
- Tomato and Dates Chutney
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.