I used two mangoes which were hard but quite yellow inside so wasn’t sure how the chutney would taste. However, I decided to have a go at making the chutney in the Instant Pot. You may be aware of the Instant Pot (IP) which is a pressure cooker but can also be used as a slow cooker. rice cooker, sauté/browning, yoghurt maker and steamer. The fun part of making this chutney was that it was made so quickly. You can adjust this recipe to make it as hot or as mild as you like. If you do not have an Instant Pot, then please follow this recipe which is very similar.
- 2 semi ripe large mango
- 1 red chillies which was quite hot
- 4 hot green Kenyan chillies
- 4 tbls sugar
- 4 tbls lemon juice
- 1/2 salt
- 1 tbls Oil
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardomom
1. Wash and peel the mangoes and grate them.
2. Chop the red and green chilies into as small chunks as possible.
3. Put the IP into the sauté function and transfer the grated mangoes and chilies to inner pot and add the sugar, salt and lemon juice to the mixture and stir gently. This will release a bit of water . Then change IP function to manual pressure for 4 minutes .
4. This was enough to cook the mangoes. Release the steam and mix well.
5. Next stage is optional or could have been done using the sauté mode first too :
For the tadka: Heat 1 tbls oil in a saucepan. Add a couple of cloves and 2-3 cardamom plus 1 tsp cumin seeds . Once the cumin goes brown – add to the mango mixture . If the chutney mixture feels runny – sauté for a minute . I didn’t need to .
6. Once cool – transfer to sterilised bottles . You can reduce the chilies or use chili flakes if you like . Taste and add lemon or sugar if needed. I didn’t as we like hot stuff . The chutney does taste better once cool.
Here are some more chutney recipes for you to try from my blog:
- Coriander and Chili Chutney/Dip
- Garlic Dip and Garlic Chutney
- Pineapple, mango and passion fruit Chutney
- Peanut Onion and Tomato Chutney
- Tomato and Dates Chutney
- Fiery Green Tomato Chutney
- Mango chili sandwich spread Dip
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.