This year, the weather has been great and my tomatoes are growing faster than I can use them. I remember my mother in law used to make this hot and spicy tomato chutney using a recipe very similar to the chundo recipe. As I made the apple chundo yesterday, I thought I would try making the tomato chutney as well. The result was an amazing tomato chundo/chutney.
- 10-12 raw green tomatoes
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1-2 dried red chillies
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1 tbl oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Using a mandoline, grate the green tomatoes. You should get just over 2 cups of the grated tomatoes.
2. Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and the dried red chilies. Once the mustard stops popping, add the grated tomatoes and stir.
3. Add the salt, chilies, lemon juice and brown sugar and allow the tomatoes to cook until they soften.
4. Keep stirring until all the sugar melts and blends in. Allow to cool and store in sterilised bottles.
5. The chutney should be fine for a couple of weeks.
Do you like the bowls I served the tomato chutney in? I love using them. These bowls are available from Amazon. These bowls are thin but very strong, durable and lightweight. They are perfect for serving anything. The bowls design is simple but looks classy and unique. As they are white, you can use them to match with any crockery. They are also microwave, oven, freezer and dishwasher safe. Once washed and dried, they can be stacked to store in the cupboard.
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.