I got given a bag of apples which were a little bit sharp so wanted to use them to create different recipes. Several friends suggested recipes and I made the apple chundo/chutney last week. I used a few apples to make this chunky apple chutney following Vidya Narayan’s pineapple chundo/chutney from her blog.. Do checkout Vidya’s blog. Thanks Vidya for your suggestion.
I added some lemon juice to the recipe and increased the chili powder to give the chutney a bit of a kick. The apple chutney turned out amazing.
- 3-4 apples ( 2 cups when chopped)
- chili Powder – 2 tsps
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- 1 Dried red chilli
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbls oil
- ½ tbls salt
- pinch of turmeric
- ½ tbls chili flakes
1. Peel and wash the apples. Cut them into small cubes.
2. Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds stop popping, add the apples, salt, turmeric, sugar, lemon juice and chili flakes. Stir and allow the apples to cook for 5-6 minutes.
3. Once the apples start to soften, take them off the heat and allow them to cool.
4. Once cool, store the chutney in a sterilised bottle. Once opened, this should be fine for a couple of weeks if kept in the fridge. Enjoy as a side with any Indian meal or use it as a sandwich filler. We had them with theplas
So what else can I make with the left over apples?
Here are some more chutney recipes for you to try out . Watch out some may be very hot in taste:
- Coriander and Chili Chutney/Dip
- Garlic Dip and Garlic Chutney
- Pineapple, mango and passion fruit Chutney
- Peanut Onion and Tomato Chutney
- Tomato and Dates Chutney
- Fiery Green Tomato Chutney
- Mango Chutney in the Instant Pot
- Sugarfree Apple chutney
if you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook and Follow us on Twitter. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.