Raw mango chundo is a popular condiment used with Indian meals. It’s usually hot as well as sweet and sour and adds flavour to any curry. It’s great to use as a sandwich filling too – goes well with cheese. I used apples instead of mangoes for this recipe. My gardener brought a bag full of eating apples for me but I found them to be quite sour. But you can’t beat apples which have been grown in someone’s garden. You know that they will be fresh and free from pesticides. I do love eating apples with a sprinkling of chaat masala. The chaat masala is a seasoning made with a blend of several spices such as salt, pepper, amchur powder etc.etc.. Have you ever tried that?
- 5-6 apples ( you should get just over 2 cups of grated apple)
- ½ cup brown sugar (or you can use jaggery)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1tsp chili flakes
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 2 tbls oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 -2 dried red chillies
- Wash the apples and grate them using a mandoline or grater.
2. Add lemon juice and chili flakes to the apples.
3. Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and the dried chilies. Once the mustard stops popping, add the apples and stir. Allow to cook until it starts to soften.
4. Once the apples soften, add the salt, chilies and brown sugar.
5. Keep stirring until all the sugar melts and blends in. At this stage taste to see if it needs any extra salt or sugar.
6. The apple chundo is ready to be eaten. This chundo can be bottled as a preserve and eaten when needed.
Here are some more chutney recipes for you to try out . Watch out some may be very hot in taste:
- Coriander and Chili Chutney/Dip
- Garlic Dip and Garlic Chutney
- Pineapple, mango and passion fruit Chutney
- Peanut Onion and Tomato Chutney
- Tomato and Dates Chutney
- Fiery Green Tomato Chutney
- Mango Chutney in the Instant Pot
- Chunky Apple chutney
- Apple Chundo
- Sugarfree Apple chutney
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.