I have always loved raw mangoes from a young age and love using them in curries and stir fries. For this recipe I used a semi ripe mango to make a hot chutney to enjoy as a condiment and used it to flavour my sandwiches too. You can make it as hot or as mild as you like it by adjusting the amount of chilies in the recipe.
• 1 semi ripe large mango
• 4 red chillies
• 2 tsp grated ginger
• 4 tbls sugar
• 1/2 salt
• 1 tbls Oil
• 2 small pieces of cinnamon
• 5-6 black pepper cones
• 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1. Wash and peel the mango and either grate it or chop it into fine cubes
2. Chop the red chilies into as small chunks as possible
3. Transfer the mango chunks, grated ginger and chilies to a microwave dish (if if do not have a microwave, then use a non stick wok or saucepan.
4. Add the sugar and salt to the mixture and stir gently.
5. Cook the mixture until it’s soft and resembles jam stirring it after every two minutes. Use a potato masher to mash any large chunks of mango. The mixture will start to look like a runny jam. Keep it to cool and prepare the tempering.
6. For the tempering (Tadka). Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds, cinnamon and pepper cones. Once the cumin goes dark, add it to the mango and chili mixture and stir well.
7. Allow to cool and store in an airtight jar in the fridge. Enjoy this with any Indian thali or even as sandwich filling. The chutney will last for a week to 10 days
How hot do you like your chutney?
Here are some more chutney recipes for you to try out Watch out they may be very hot in taste:
- Coriander and Chili Chutney/Dip
- Garlic Dip and Garlic Chutney
- Pineapple, mango and passion fruit Chutney
- Peanut Onion and Tomato Chutney
- Mango Chutney in the Instant Pot
- Fiery Tomato chutney with hot Green Chillies
- Coriander, chili and apple Chutney
- Tomato and dates chutney
- Potato Pies with Homemade Mango Chutney
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs. All the recipes have been tried, tested and are easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.