I love trying out new dishes which are easy to make and also don’t require going to the Supermarket to get all the ingredients. I saw the recipe for Easy pineapple Fried Rice by Vegan Huggs and thought I would make something similar for my lunch. I just added a few more vegetables and ingredients to suit our taste.
The recipe is perfect for entering a competition hosted by the short term loan company Lending Stream. They competition is to find the best budget recipe at £3 per head. As I was cooking for two, I had a budget of £ 6.00. As usual, it’s difficult to come up with meals that are interesting, tasty, easy to cook and not costing much.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 3 cups cooked Basmati rice
- 1 can tinned pineapple cubes (432gms)
- 2 cups mixed vegetables – I used a mixture of fresh and frozen -peas, sweetcorn, peppers, carrots, potatoes
- 1 red fresh chili – these can be hot so use as much as you can and sliced whichever way is suitable for you.
- 3 shallots (or onions)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbls tamarind sauce or you can use soy sauce or any ready made sweet and sour sauce
- 1 tsp sugar or sweetener (optional)
- 1 tbls sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves (optional)
- Heat the oil in a non stick wok and add the cumin seeds and curry leaves.
2. Once the cumin seeds go dark, add the chopped vegetables. I left my shallots whole so I could take them out and serve separately as my husband doesn’t like onions. Add all the spices – salt, sugar, turmeric, tamarind sauce (or soy sauce). Mix well and allow the potatoes to soften slightly.
3. Now drain the liquid from the pineapples and add the chunks to the mixture. Stir well.
4. Next add the cooked rice. Be gentle when mixing as you don’t want your rice to go mushy.
The cost of the recipe:
|1 tin of pineapple chunks||£ 1.00|
|1 cup Organic Basmati rice 500 gms cost £ 2.00. I||.50p|
|2 medium Potatoes £1.29 for 2.5 kg||.20p|
|1 cup frozen mixed vegetables £ 1.50 for 1kg||.30p|
|3 shallots £ 1.00 for 400 kgs||.20p|
|1 red chili 60p for 3||.20p|
|spices, oil, curry leaves, tamarind sauce all from my cupboard @£1.00||£1.00|
|Meal served with Greek Yogurt||£ 1.00|
|Total cost of the meal :||£ 4.40|
This was a delicious meal with lots of flavours and we loved this dish as it was easy to make. I used the £ 1.60 left over to treat us to some fresh red grapes which are a favourite of mine.
Let me know what you think of the pineapple rice.