I love trying out new dishes which are easy to make and also don’t require going to the Supermarket to get all the ingredients. I saw the recipe for Easy pineapple Fried Rice by Vegan Huggs and thought I would make something similar for my lunch. I love to eat pineapple as a fruit but lately have been adding them to my pizzas, chutneys, curry and now rice. I just added a few more vegetables and ingredients to suit our taste.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 3 cups cooked Basmati rice
- 1 can tinned pineapple cubes (432gms)
- 2 cups mixed vegetables – I used a mixture of fresh and frozen -peas, sweetcorn, peppers, carrots, potatoes
- 1 red fresh chili – these can be hot so use as much as you can and sliced whichever way is suitable for you.
- 3 shallots (or onions)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tbls tamarind sauce or you can use soy sauce or any ready made sweet and sour sauce
- 1 tsp sugar or sweetener (optional)
- 1 tbls sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a non stick wok and add the cumin seeds and curry leaves.
2. Once the cumin seeds go dark, add the chopped vegetables. I left my shallots whole so I could take them out and serve separately as my husband doesn’t like onions. Add all the spices – salt, sugar, turmeric, tamarind sauce (or soy sauce). Mix well and allow the potatoes to soften slightly.
3. Now drain the liquid from the pineapples and add the chunks to the mixture. Stir well.
4. Next add the cooked rice. Be gentle when mixing as you don’t want your rice to go mushy.
This was a delicious meal with lots of flavours and we loved this dish as it was easy to make.
Let me know what you think of the pineapple rice.
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.