Ever since my last jam recipe, I have been making home made jam as both my son and my niece love it. This week, I decided to try making jam in the instant pot. The Instant Pot (IP) is a pressure cooker but can also be used as a slow cooker. rice cooker, sauté/browning, yoghurt maker and steamer. Making jam in the IP is easier as you do not need to keep stirring it so much and it’s not messy as there are no splatters.
- 800 gms strawberries
- 500 gms sugar
- 4 tbls fresh lemon juice
1. Wash and chop the strawberries into small chunks.
2. Switch on the Instant pot on saute mode and add the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice to the Instant pot. Mix well until the sugar melts.
3. Switch off the saute mode and put on the Manual mode for 6 minutes. Close the lid and allow to cook. Once the 6 minutes are up, switch off and allow the IP to release pressure normally. This would take about 10 minutes.
4. Once pressure is released, open the lid and stir the jam and press the strawberries using a potato masher. Switch on the saute mode and allow the strawberries to cook. To test the right timing for the jam to be set – keep a saucer in the freezer. Once the mixture has been cooking for 10 minutes, take the saucer out of the freezer and place a spoonful on the the jam on the saucer. Return the saucer back to the freezer for a minute. Run a finger through the middle of the jam and if the jam doesn’t feel runny, the jam is ready to be bottled.
5. Transfer the jam into sterilized bottles and make sure you label them with the date. It’s a good idea to make jam when strawberries are in abundance.
Have you tried making jam in the Instant Pot?