Dhebra – Methi na dhebra with bajra (millet), Ghav (wheat) and chana flour Methi na Dhebra (Fenugreek bread) is a Gujarati bread type snack made with a mix of methi (fenugreek) leaves and millet, wheat flour and chana (chick pea) flour. Most Gujarati’s make this dish to take on picnics or whilst traveling as they are tasty and last a couple of days.
Ingredients for about 20 -25 Dhebra or Methi na dhebra :
- 1 cup millet flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chana (chick pea) flour
- 1 cup cut and washed fresh fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon finely blended green chillies ( I used 1 tablespoon as I like my dhebras hot and spicy)
- 1 teaspoon finely blended ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely blended garlic
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 -2 tablespoon sesame seeds.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup of fresh live Yoghurt ( I used homemade yoghurt)
- 1 litre oil for deep frying (I used sunflower oil)
1. Sieve all the three flours in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the fenugreek leaves, salt, turmeric, sesame seeds, ginger, garlic and green chillies.
3. Make a dip in the middle of the flours and add the 2 tablespoons of oil.
4. Add half cup water to the yogurt and mix well using a fork. This recipe works great with sour yogurt as it gives a tangy taste to the dhebras.
5. Slowly add the watery yogurt to the flour and make a dough. The dough should be semi-soft.
6. Cover this dough and leave it in a warm place overnight.
7. On the next day, you start to make the Dhebra or Methi na dhebra .
8. The dhebras need to be deep fried so heat the oil in a wok
9. On a chappati stand or any work top, cover the area with a plastic. The plastic makes it easy for you to lift up the dhebras.
10. Divide the dough into small balls.
11. Grease your hands with some oil and make the dhebras by patting on the dough balls.
12. Lift the dhebras by lifting the plastic and transferring them to your hand.
13. Deep fry the dhebras until golden brown. I put the dhebras in hot oil, then turn down the heat and let the dhebras cook gently. Leaving the dhebra mixture to ferment in yogurt overnight helps to make the dhebras nice and fluffy.