Bharella mutter bhat translated means – Rice cooked with vegetables that have been stuffed with spices. In Bharela Mattur Bhat or Spicy Potato Stuffed Ricerecipe, the vegetables are stuffed with several spices. The origins of this recipe are in East Africa. This is a favourite recipe of my husband and his mum taught me how to make this bharela mutter bhat. I have never known anyone else make this dish so would be very interested to hear from anyone who does make this dish.
Ingredients to make Bharela Mattur Bhat or Spicy Potato Stuffed Rice for 4 people.
For the stuffing:
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chilly powder (can use less if you so wish)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1 teaspoon of crushed and blended garlic
- 1 tiny piece of jaggery
For the mutter bhat:
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- 6 small potatoes
- 5 small aubergines
- 1 onion
- half a cup of peas ( I used frozen peas)
- half a cup of diced carrots ( I used frozen carrots)
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)
1. Wash and soak the rice in cold water for 20 minutes or more if possible.
2. Prepare the masala for the stuffing. Add everything listed for the stuffing in a microwave dish and cook it for one minute, remove and stir.
8. Using a fork, mix the spices and cook the Bharela Mattur Bhat or Spicy Potato Stuffed Rice in the microwave for 5 minutes. Add a tablespoon of cooking oil to the mixture.
9. The rice takes 25 minutes in a fast microwave. I suggest that you check the Bharela Mattur Bhat or Spicy Potato Stuffed Rice every ten minutes to ensure it is cooking well. You can prick the potatoes with a knife to check if they are cooked. At no time, stir the mixture.
10. Cooking in the microwave, seals in all the flavours and the aroma when this dish was cooking was out of this world.
11. The Bharela Mattur Bhat or Spicy Potato Stuffed Rice should be served straight from the microwave dish ensuring that the vegetables do not get squashed.