- 2 cups of yoghurt . Recipe for home made yogurt is here
- 2 heaped tbp chick pea flour (besan)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3-4 cloves of garlic blended using a garlic press
- 2 tsp. blended ginger
- 3-4 green chillies (use less if you don’t like hot food)
- 2 tbp. sunflower oil
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp jaggery or brown sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice ( to use if the yoghurt isn’t sour)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- small bunch of finely chopped fresh fenugreek (can substitute this for coriander if you can’t get fenugreek)
5. You will notice that the mixture will get a deeper colour and begin to thicken. Continue stirring all the time.
7. Put the kadhi on a low heat. Now that it’s cooked correctly, the yoghurt won’t curdle.
8. In a small saucepan heat the oil to prepare the tempering (often called tadka or vaghar). Some Gujarati’s like to temper their kadhi with ghee which is perfectly fine too.
9. Add the mustard seeds to the oil. Once the seeds stop popping – add the tempering on top of the kadhi and mix well. Allow to cook for at least a further 10 minutes.
10. Serve the kadhi hot with any rice dishes such as pillau rice, plain rice, stir-fried rice , colourful rice, biryani or vegetable biryani or Khichedi.
Kadhi can also be made in the Instant Pot. Checkout my recipe here
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.