Kadhi is a warm delicious sweet and sour soup made with yoghurt and chick pea flour (besan). The recipe for making it on the cooker top is here. A lot of people love the taste of kadhi but don’t like making it because it needs some stirring and looking after to stop it splitting or spilling over. I had seen a lot of posts where people had boiled their milk in the Instant Pot so I thought I should try making Kadhi in the Instant pot. BTW The Instant Pot(IP) is a pressure cooker but can also be used as a slow cooker. rice cooker, sauté/browning, yoghurt maker and steamer.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 2 cups of yoghurt (home made or shop bought is fine)
- 2 heaped tbls chick pea flour (besan)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3-4 cloves of garlic blended using a garlic press
- 2 tsp. blended ginger
- 3-4 green chilies (use less if you don’t like hot food)
- 2 tbp. sunflower oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 dried red chilies (optional)
- 1-2 cloves (optional)
- 1-2 small sticks of cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tsp jaggery or brown sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice ( to use if the yoghurt isn’t sharp/sour)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- small bunch of finely chopped coriander
With most food we cook in the IP – preparation is the key as in most recipes, everything is added before closing the lid to allow it to cook.
2. Add in the salt, turmeric, green chilies, garlic, ginger, curry leaves, coriander, jaggery (or brown sugar) and lemon juice (if your yoghurt isn’t sharp).
3. Using the Sauté mode in the IP, add the oil to prepare the tempering of the kadhi. Add the mustard seeds, dried red chilies, cloves and cinnamon to the oil. Once the seeds stop popping – add the kadhi mixture and stir well.
4. Close the lid, cancel the sauté mode. Turn on the soup mode for 5 minutes. Allow the IP to cool down and release the pressure normally.
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.