Ever since I got the Instant Pot, I have been cooking more lentils and beans as they are so easy and quick to cook in the IP. The Instant Pot(IP) is a pressure cooker but can also be used as a slow cooker. rice cooker, sauté/browning, yoghurt maker and steamer. Dall Dhokli is an all time comfort food served with rice in most Gujarati homes as quick but healthy dish. The dall is usually made runny, hot and spicy with lemon or tamarind and jaggery added to it to give it the sweet and sour taste. Nowadays I make dall dhokli using 3 types of lentils and make it more like thick soup and use tortillas as the dhokli when I am in a hurry and my son calls it tortilla soup.
Ingredients (3-4 servings) :
• One cup mixture of mung dall, chana dall and Tuvar dall (split pigeon peas)
• Half a can of crushed tomatoes ( or Passata or 5-6 fresh ripe tomatoes)
• 1 tbs tomato puree
• 1 tablespoon oil ( I use rape seed oil)
• 3 cloves
• 1 small cinnamon stick (1 inch or less)
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 3-4 green chilies – sliced in the middle (or less –depending on taste)
• 1 tsp crushed ginger
• 1 dried chilli
• Small bunch of coriander
• A dozen fresh curry leaves (don’t worry if you can’t get these)
• 1 tbs fresh lemon juice (bottled lemon juice is fine too)
• 1 tbs jaggery (gor) (you can use sugar if you can’t get jaggery)
• 1 heaped tablespoon dall masala (available ready mixed in Indian stores)(Optional)
• 3-4 corn tortillas
1. Wash the three dalls in warm water and allow to soak whilst you get your ingredients ready.
2. Prepare the ingredients for tempering the dall. Blend the tomatoes. If using fresh tomatoes, prick them and slightly boil them to remove the skin and blend them. Add the salt, turmeric, sliced green chilies, crushed ginger, sugar or jaggery, tomato puree to the crushed tomatoes. (Leave the lemon juice to add at the end of cooking).
3. Turn on the sauté mode of the Instant Pot and once it shows the hot sign, add the oil. Add the cumin seeds, cloves, dried chili and cinnamon stick to the oil. 4. Allow the cumin seeds to go brown and add the crushed tomato mixture to the oil and stir it well. Now add three dall mixture to the tomato mixture. Add two cups of warm water and close the IP lid. 5. Turn off the sauté mode and use the manual mode to cook for 15 minutes.6. Once the dall is cooked and the IP pressure has been released, carefully open the lid. If you can see any of the green chilies or cinnamon sticks, remove them if you can. Using a hand blender, blend the dall.
7. Add the fresh coriander and curry leaves to the mixture and turn the IP to sauté mode. Once this starts to simmer, add the dall masala if you have it. Also add the lemon juice.
8. Whilst you are waiting for the dall to start simmering, cut the tortillas into small diamond shapes using a knife or a pizza cutter. Once the dall starts to simmer add the diamond shapes tortillas to it.
9. The tortillas will rise to the top when ready. Simmer for 5-6 minutes and the dall dhokli is ready to serve.
10. Serve it hot with a dollop of butter.
How do you like my cheat recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I can earn a small commission if you purchase through the link at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!