This soup recipe is so simple and easy that you can make it with your eyes closed…Well not really or else you could burn yourself – but you know what I mean? I usually make this for my lunch when I am working from home and have no time to cook. It’s one of those recipes, you just mix the ingredients and allow it to simmer away while you are working.
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 8-10 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon blended fresh green chillies
- half a cup of tinned tomatoes or 2-3 tablespoons of tomato puri
- Sugar or sugar substitute (only if the tomatoes are sharp)
- small bunch of coriander
1. Lightly prick or pierce the tomatoes and put them in boiling water. Leave them in the hot water until the outer skin starts cracking. You can either leave the tomatoes to cool or remove them with a slotted spoon and put them in cold water. Once they have cooled down, remove the outer skin of the tomatoes.
2. Using a blender, blend the tomatoes until they look like a smooth juice. Allow this mixture to simmer. Add in the salt, ginger, garlic, chillies and finely chopped coriander to the mixture. Also add in the canned tomatoes or tomato puri. Allow this to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until you get the right thickness of the soup. Taste it and if it’s sharp, add in sugar or sugar substitute.
Note: The coriander makes the soup taste extra nice but if you do not have coriander, you can add basil.
Check out my recipe for making frozen ginger, garlic and green chillies cubes . These are handy to use when you are working against a deadline.
4.The soup is really healthy as it has no oil, butter or cream added to it. Try it and let me know whether you liked it.