What’s the best way to use up the glut of tomatoes in the winter?
Last week, I bought some ready made soup for my lunch and really enjoyed it. This made me realise that I should start making soups regularly as you can make them so much healthier at home. I managed to buy a huge bag of tomatoes from the farmer’s market and couldn’t wait to make soup. The soup was so easy to make and tasted so great that I have decided that I will make lots of healthy varieties of soup to have for lunch during the week.
Ingredients for 6-8 serving
- 18-20 medium tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs olive oil
- bunch of coriander
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 cup of passata
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
1. Wash and cut the tomatoes in quarters and place them in an oven proof dish. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Place the cloves of garlic within the tomatoes. Sprinkle some coriander and basil on the tomatoes. Add the olive oil to the tomatoes and place it in a hot oven (170 degrees) for 30 minutes.
2. Switch off the oven and allow the tomatoes to remain in the oven for a further 10 minutes. Don’t they just look amazing?
3. Transfer the tomatoes with all its juices to a saucepan. Add the passata to the tomatoes.
4. Using a hand blender, roughly blend he tomatoes and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Taste and season the soup as required. I did not add any more oils or butter to the soup and it tasted great.
5. Serve the Tomato Soup hot garnished with some chili flakes and cream.
Here are a variety of Soup recipes for you to try out from this blog:
- Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Soup
- Spicy Tomato Soup
- Butternut squash Soup
- Carrot and Coriander Soup
- Tomato Soup Indian Style
- Oven Roasted Tomato Soup
- Sweet Corn Soup
- Manchurian Balls in spicy tomato soup
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.