What’s the best way to use up the glut of tomatoes in the winter?
Last week, I bought some ready made soup for my lunch and really enjoyed it. This made me realise that I sould start making soups regularly as you can make them so much healthier at home. I managed to buy a huge bag of tomatoes from the farmer’s market and couldn’t wait to make soup. The soup was so easy to make and tasted so great that I have decided that I will make lots of healthy varieties of soup to have for lunch during the week.
Ingredients for 6-8 serving
- 18-20 medium tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs olive oil
- bunch of coriander
- 2 tsp basil
- 1 cup of passata
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
1. Wash and cut the tomatoes in quarters and place them in an oven proof dish. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Place the cloves of garlic within the tomatoes. Sprinkle some coriander and basil on the tomatoes. Add the olive oil to the tomatoes and place it in a hot oven (170 degrees) for 30 minutes.
2. Switch off the oven and allow the tomatoes to remain in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
3. Transfer the tomatoes with all its juices to a saucepan. Add the passata to the tomatoes.
4. Using a hand blender, roughly blend he tomatoes and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Taste and season the soup as required. I did not add any more oils or butter to the soup and it tasted great.
5. Serve the Tomato Soup hot garnished with some chilli flakes and cream.
Do you have any vegetarian soup recipes you can share with me?