Sweet vermicelli is one of those dishes you make when you suddenly have a craving for a sweet and don’t want to spend too much time cooking it. My recipe for sweet vermicelli (or meethi sev) is very traditional. Most recipes use sugar but my family love the taste of jaggery as it has a sweetness with a hint of salt. You can use sugar instead of jaggery and it will taste just as tasty. Vermicelli can be bought from any supermarkets and often comes in the form of little nests or long strands. Just crush the vermicelli into small pieces before cooking them.
Ingredients for 3-4 servings:
- 2 cups of vermicelli
- 1 cup of jaggery (Gor)
- 1 litre of boiling water
- ½ cup of melted butter or ghee
- 5-6 sliced almonds
- 5-6 sliced pistachios
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
- a pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp of ground cardamom
1. Add the jaggery to water and allow it to melt whilst the water is boiling.
2. Add half a cup ghee or butter to the vermicelli and cook on a mild heat until the vermicelli starts to get golden brown. Using salted butter gives this dish a lovely taste.
3. Carefully pour the hot jaggery water to the cooked vermicelli. The vermicelli will start to bubble and cook so be careful that you don’t get splattered. Add the ground nutmeg, cardamom and saffron to the mixture.
4. Keep stirring until the mixture becomes fairly solid and doesn’t stick to the saucepan. If you like your sweet to have more butter or ghee, you can add more to the vermicelli but it’s not necessary.
5. Garnish with almonds and pistachio and serve it hot on its own or with vanilla icecream.
How would you serve sweet vermicelli made with jaggery?
Recipes for some of my favourite sweets are in my blog. Do check out the following:
- Badam Katli
- Badam (Almond) Halwa or Sheera with saffron and nutmeg
- Sweet Vermicelli with Jaggery
- Gor Papdi
- Churma na ladoo
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.