Cottage pie is one of those simple but healthy dishes you can prepare ahead of time. You can make it with different fillings too. My recipe for cottage pie with four beans is here.
Ingredients for 4 servings of Vegetarian Cottage Pie:
For the topping
- 5 -6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced largely
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 or 3 cups of grated cheese
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Filling
- 240 grams of boiled white Kidney beans (I used a can of white kidney beans)
- 4 bowls of mixed frozen vegetables – baby corn, peppers, carrots, sweetcorn, cauliflower, broccoli, soya beans
- 400 mls of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cloves of finely grated garlic
- 1 tsp of blended green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mixture of ground cumin and coriander powder (dhana jeeru)
1. Cover the diced potatoes with just enough water and salt and put them to boil until they are soft.
2. Drain the liquid from the canned kidney beans and wash them in cold water.
3. In a second saucepan, heat a tablespoon of oil and add in the garlic. Stir and add in the kidney beans and mixed vegetables. Add the salt, pepper, green chilies, turmeric and the ground coriander and cumin powder. Stir and add all the cocnut milk and allow the mixture to cook until the coconut milk is absorbed by the vegetables.
5. Transfer the cooked beans and vegetables to a baking dish.
What fillings do you use with your cottage pie?.