Couscous is one of those ingredients that cooks fast and adding some spices and nuts helps to make it in an exciting exotic dish. I make couscous for my lunchbox every day with different variations of vegetables or beans depending on what I have in the fridge.
½ cup of couscous
1 small onion (I used red onions)
½ cup of mixed vegetable ( I used sweetcorn, green beans, carrots)
½ cup mixed nuts
1-2 green chilies
½ tsp salt
½ tsp turmeric
pinch of saffron (Plus a tablespoon of milk to soak the saffron in)
1 tbls cooking oil (I used coconut oil).
1. Add one cup of hot water to the couscous and keep the bowl covered for 10 minutes. At the same time soak the saffron in a tablespoon of milk.
2. Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan and add the onions and green chilies and stir fry them for a minutes. Add the salt and turmeric and allow the onions to soften.
3. Add the mixed vegetables and nuts with a tablespoon of water and allow them to cook until they soften.
4. By now the couscous will have doubled in size. Add it to the vegetables and the saffron and stir fry it until all the spices and vegetables have blended.
5. The couscous is ready to be eaten or packed for your lunchbox!!
Other lunch ideas using couscous are listed below:
- Couscous with Healthy vegetables
- Spicy couscous with vegetables, fruit and kidney beans.
- Crunchy Couscous vegan salad with fruit, veg and black eyed peas
- Spicy couscous with chickpeas, nuts and vegetables
- Spicy Couscous with potatoes and nuts (bateta couscous)
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on email@example.com for more information.