Couscous – the food’s so nice they named it twice. -Dale
Whenever I read posts of bloggers from India, I get really envious when they mention the meals they have cooked to take in their lunch boxes (Tiffin). In UK some places of work have restaurants which serve hot food and lately, the vegetarian choice has improved. However, by the time you have paid for your meal, sweet and a drink it adds up to quite a lot by the end of the week. So most people tend to either buy or bring lunch from home which is usually sandwiches. I like to take my lunch with me but what ever I take has to be tasty and quick to make e.g. spicy hot sandwiches, tortillas, bateta pawa or cous cous pawa. This morning, I really had no time to spare so I ended up making a very tasty couscous dish using a mixture of spinach, broccoli, peas and peppers in just 10-12 minutes with no tadka or oil. I barely had time to snap pictures, and nearly didn’t, but my hubby helped me so I managed to take one good picture. I am sure a lot of working mothers will appreciate this quick lunchtime snack as it’s spicy but light.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup a mixture of boiled vegetables. I used spinach, broccoli, sweetcorn, peas and peppers
- 1 tsp hot green chutney
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp tomato chutney for garnishing
1. Take a large bowl and add the couscous with 2 cups of water and allow this to rest for 5 minutes.
2. Add all the vegetables and spices to the couscous and mix it using a fork.
3. Garnish it with any chutney or tomato ketchup and enjoy it just we did with ice cold coke.
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Some quick and easy lunch time recipes in the blog are as below:
- Spicy couscous with vegetables, fruit and kidney beans.
- Crunchy Couscous vegan salad with fruit, veg and black eyed peas
- Spicy couscous with chickpeas, nuts and vegetables
- Spicy Couscous with mixed vegetables, nuts and a hint of saffron
- Spicy Couscous with potatoes and nuts (bateta couscous)
If you have a hunger for Authentic Vegetarian Food then subscribe to my blog and receive delectable recipes and new Innovative foodie updates! Hungry for more Vegetarian Tips ? LIKE us on facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram. All the recipes are with step by step instructions and photographs and all of them have been tried, tested, easy to cook and delicious.
If you are interested in one to one or group cookery lessons, or any corporate team building events – email me on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.